Saturday, March 23, 2013

Our morning blend.

While most of our meals are varied, breakfast at our house is the same almost every day.  For everyone.  It helps me get through the mornings since I am often foggy and tired.  However, our breakfast always seems to be a great start for our beauty, full of protein, as well as things that help keep her gut healthy and moving.
In the blend every morning:
We get donated breast milk that we use most of the time.  If we are out we use whole milk.  For the sake of  calories, and helping you count, I will go with the whole milk.  If you are interested in knowing numbers for breast milk, I would be more than happy to share what I have learned.

2 oz.milk-37 calories
2oz. plain, whole milk yogurt-40 calories
1/3dry quinoa flakes mixed with hot water-131 calories
1 serving of prunes-100 calories

I put the liquid in first (milk) as well as yogurt, followed by quinoa, and then the prunes.  I hit the soup button on my blendtec, and ninety seconds later, everything is pureed, and warmed (an awesome bonus to the soup option on my blender).  Our beauty gets around six ounces of breakfast from this mix, and is now set to make it a few hours with 308 calories from her mix, a great dose of protein from the quinoa, good bacteria from the yogurt, and a great source of fiber to keep things moving from the prunes.  There are things that could be added to this to very easily up the calories (a tablespoon of coconut oil would take you up to 428 calories).
What do you blend for breakfast?  Are you more adventurous than me?

1 comment:

  1. We blend milk with rolled oats, a handful of nuts, and whatever fruit I have handy - usually something hard and something soft (apple and kiwi, pear and raspberry, whatever we have in the fruit bowl). I have a fruit and veg box delivered weekly, and so what we eat varies according to the contents.

    ReplyDelete